As one who follows the Mediterranean-style of eating, I can appreciate the nutritional value of a good kebab that supplies healthy portions of veggies, seafood and lean meat. Here’s one of my hearty and absolutely delicious homemade kebab recipes that’s incredibly rich in protein, healthy fats and disease-fighting antioxidants.
What You Need
Chicken, Steak, Shrimp and Seasonings
- 8 ounces of boneless chicken breast
- 8 ounces of chuck eye steak
- 8 ounces of black tiger prawn shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup of Colman’s Mustard
- 1-1/2 tablespoons of Colman’s Mustard Powder
- 2 tablespoons of fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of pure honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning
Skewers and Additional Ingredients
- 8-10 bamboo skewers, soaked well
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into large pieces
- 1 large orange bell pepper, seeded and cut into large pieces
- 1 large white onion, cut into large pieces
- 8-10 large mushrooms, cut in halves or quarters
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
How To Prepare
For the Chicken, Steak and Shrimp
Preheat a charcoal grill, gas grill, or grill pan to medium (about 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on the grill). Separate the chicken, steak and shrimp prior to preparation. Tenderize the chicken and steak using a meat-tenderizing mallet and then evenly distribute and add all the dry seasonings (except the Old Bay).
Once the dry seasonings are well rubbed-in, work in the mustard and honey, spreading them all over the meat’s surfaces.
Next, add Old Bay to the shrimp, toss them to coat, and then set them aside. Place the chicken and steak on the grill. Cook them covered while turning often until they are halfway cooked through. At this point, remove the chicken and steak from the grill and cut them into 1-inch pieces.
For the Skewers
Alternately thread peppers, onion and mushroom with chicken, steak and raw seasoned shrimp onto each skewer, beginning and ending with either peppers or onions. Place the skewers on the grill.
Cook them covered and turning often, until the chicken, steak and shrimp are nice and firm. The finished peppers, onion and mushroom shouldn’t be completely blackened but should have charred spots.
The kebabs should be fully cooked within 20-30 minutes. Once the kebabs are done, brush them with olive oil.
This recipe makes approximately 4 servings at only 350 calories each. In addition, these amazingly filling kebabs contain a whopping 35 grams of high-quality protein per serving. Enjoy!