I generally skip breakfast due to my intermittent fasting regimen. But, I’m still a diehard fan of eggs! Here’s one of my personal favorite recipes that’s less than 150 calories per serving and packed full of protein making it perfect for weight watchers and carb watchers alike.
What You Need
- 1 cup of diced assorted vegetables (the more colors the better)
- 1/2 cup of egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole-wheat, low-sodium lavash thin flatbread
- 3 tablespoons of shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of fat-free sour cream*
- 1/4 cup of pico de gallo (no salt added) or no-salt-added salsa (such as Enrico’s brand)
*Tip: For added protein substitute the fat-free sour cream for non-fat plain Greek-style yogurt.
How To Prepare
In a medium nonstick skillet, sauté the vegetables until they start to brown. Add the egg whites, scramble them, and then add the black pepper. Place the lavash thin bread on a warm griddle or flat top grill until the side that’s facing the heat gets nice and hot. Next, turn the bread over on the griddle or grill, and then sprinkle the cheese on the top side. After the cheese, spread the vegetable scramble and cilantro on half of the top side.
Once the cheese begins to melt, fold the thin bread in half to cover the vegetables. Press it firmly, using a tool like a large firm spatula or the bottom of a pan. Flip the bread to the other side and then grill it for about 2 minutes before pressing it again. Remove the finished quesadilla from the heat and then cut it into four pieces. The quesadillas can be served with fat-free sour cream (or Greek-style yogurt) and salsa on the side.
This delicious recipe makes 2 servings at about 140 calories each. Bon Appetit!