As one who follows the Mediterranean style of eating, I make it a practice to enjoy pasta preparations from time to time. I personally prefer dishes that include lots of vegetables and extra virgin olive oil for added health benefits. If you’re a pasta lover, you’ll enjoy this wholesome, filling, and incredibly delicious restaurant-style preparation that you can make in the comfort of your own home.
What You Need
- 1 pound of De Cecco Whole Wheat Fusilli, Spinach Fusilli or your favorite alternative
- 8 ounces of Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 12 ounces of cauliflower florets (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup of De Cecco Extra Virgin Olive Oil 100% Italian Olives, divided
- 4 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 ounces of fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 cup of finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
How To Prepare
Cook the pasta and Brussels sprouts according to the pasta package directions, adding the cauliflower during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Once cooked, drain the mixture, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
While the pasta is cooking, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Next, add the shallots and garlic and then cook them for 15-30 seconds while stirring constantly, or until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook them for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until they’ve browned and then remove them from the heat.
You can then return the hot cooked pasta, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower to the pot and add the reserved pasta water and mushroom mixture. Set aside 2 tablespoons of parsley. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and the remaining parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper and then sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese and reserved parsley.
Courtesy of DeCecco, this delicious recipe makes 8 servings at about 310 calories each. Bon Appetit!